My photo
When I paint, no matter what the subject matter is, I always strive to paint with loose, expressive brush strokes, using bold, vivid colors and a sense of humor. I work very spontaneously, mostly in mixed aqua media on paper because I like the way the paint flows and I like the transparency of the colors resulting in an organic piece. I constantly experiment with colors, techniques and subjects.

Friday, January 30, 2015

Things about the 30 day Challenge


Here is a collage of the 30 paintings I did in the last 30 days.

I selected a focus of farm animals with the idea that I would do a lot of cows and it was a no brainer in terms of coming up with subject matter

I used only three colors on my palette
American Journey : Bumblebee Yellow, Rambling Rose, Cobalt Blue (in other words, all of the variety in color came from only these three colors)  

I used two different brands of watercolor paper:  Arches (90 lb, 140 lb  and 300 lb)  and  Fabriano  (140 lb and 300 lb)  and 3 different weights of paper.

Most of the pieces are 7.5 by 11 inches.  A  couple of pieces are 11 by 15 inches.  

I did mostly watercolor but did a few ink and watercolor and one collage.

I played with different styles and techniques.   

Things I learned…

There is a big difference between  Arches and Fabriano.  Both quality watercolor paper but each reacts totally differently to paint.  It forced me to change how I painted.  My preference has always been Arches but I learned that to achieve certain effects, Fabriano is the way to go.

I learned how to just get it done and not to second quess it.  When your goal is to do one painting per day, you don’t have time to be too critical.  I fell off the wagon a time or two and wanted to give up but for the most part, I followed my rule to JUST DO IT.

I learned that what people like and what I like may be different and is an interesting surprise to me.

I learned that my art has a common thread running thru it.  I was wondering before I started if I  had a recognizable style and I see that one is developing.



I was reinforced with comments that told me that I have a sense of humor which I believe  is reflected in each of my pieces.

So that's it, I am done.   Now I can sleep.  

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed following your art this month Polly :) Signing up now to follow your blog :) Thanks for sharing the info on papers, I don't think I have tried Fabriano.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation!!! My favs were the cows!!! So expressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice paintings Polly - I can appreciate your goals and how you met them! I will have to try Fabriano, I have gathered so much Arches over time..and being more new to WC, it's time to try Fabr...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on completing the challenge, it has been wonderful to see your work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Polly! Wonderful pieces, especially love the little pig, but cannot truthfully say I caught them all during the challenge. What a tribute to the limited palette, too--amazing to see them all together like this and know you used just those three colors...

    ReplyDelete