My photo
When I paint, no matter what the subject matter is, I always strive to paint with loose, expressive brush strokes, using bold, vivid colors and a sense of humor. I work very spontaneously, mostly in mixed aqua media on paper because I like the way the paint flows and I like the transparency of the colors resulting in an organic piece. I constantly experiment with colors, techniques and subjects.

Friday, March 20, 2015

Beautiful Isolation

The other night at around midnight, I took a drive out to Lake Superior because there were reports of fantastic Northern Lights being displayed.  I wanted an unobstructed view of the light show.  Well, when there is no moon or stars out the lake is pitch black.  So black that once  I turned off the headlights I could not even see my hands in front of my face.  Thank god for the flashlight on my phone.  I worked my way down to the lake where I heard frozen water cracking.  It was the only sound around.  I saw lots of clouds that appeared to have been back lit by the Northern Lights.  I did not see any of the movement of the lights but never the less it was pretty amazing.  A bit of me thought how foolish I was for being out there in the dark where it was icy and where there was lots of icy snow to slip on but the tranquility and beauty of it made it worth while.  This is my interpretation of my experience.

2 comments:

  1. Polly, this is breathlessly beautiful! What an experience you had. A sacred experience, alone with the Northern Lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elsbeth, apparently I may not have been alone. When I was telling one of the locals about going out there, she said, this is when the bear start coming out of hibernation... I am glad I did not have meeting a black bear as part of my experience. Glad you like the painting.

    ReplyDelete